High cholesterol is often dubbed a disease that can only afflict the elderly or obese people. In fact, the cause of high cholesterol can also be experienced by young people and thin people.
How come? Well, it is important for you to know what causes cholesterol to rise to find out how big your risk is, as well as avoiding the risk of complications in the future. Then, what causes high cholesterol? Check out the following explanation.
In fact, there are many things that can be the cause of high cholesterol. Starting from daily habits that can actually be prevented to certain medical conditions. Which cause of cholesterol are you experiencing?
Various causes and risk factors for high cholesterol
1. AgeOne of the risk factors that can cause high cholesterol is age. The more you age, the more likely you are to experience this condition.
For example, men whose age has been 45 years and over and women whose age is more than 55 years and above, have a higher risk of experiencing high cholesterol and heart disease.
In this condition, age can indeed be a cause of high cholesterol. However, that does not mean at the age mentioned, you will definitely experience the condition.
When age may be a cause of cholesterol, this is usually influenced by changes in body function and metabolism which also decreases. So, no wonder that most elderly people have higher LDL cholesterol than young children.
However, you must keep in mind that age is not the only cause of cholesterol. It could be people at a young age experience it. Therefore, you still have to keep cholesterol levels in the body in normal conditions, even though you are still young.
For example by maintaining a healthy diet. That is, it does not mean when you are young, your cholesterol does not increase because your cholesterol levels can be high due to other causes.
2. Unhealthy eating habitsIndiscriminate eating and snacks can be a cause of high cholesterol levels in the blood. Especially if you are accustomed to eating foods that are rich in saturated fats and trans fats.
Saturated fats are easily found in food. You can find it in beef, lamb, butter, cream, and cheese made from 2% milk. Meanwhile, foods made from plants and have a high cholesterol content are coconut and coconut oil. Consuming too much saturated fat can be a cause of high cholesterol levels.
Meanwhile, trans fat is fat that has been processed by the factory and added to hydrogen to make vegetable oil thicker. Similar to saturated fat, this fat can also be a cause of high cholesterol levels. This is caused, this fat can increase bad cholesterol levels and actually reduce levels of good cholesterol in the blood.
Instead of consuming saturated fat which can be a cause of cholesterol, it would be better if you eat foods that are rich in unsaturated fats. The reason is unsaturated fat can help you control cholesterol levels in the body.
3. Lazy to moveAre you aware that lazy to move can be one of the causes of elevated blood cholesterol levels? Try to think about how much time you spend sleeping or sitting idle while checking your cellphone, watching television, or just playing games.
Especially if you are an office employee who spends time sitting quietly in front of a computer for hours. Did you know that these habits can be a cause of high cholesterol levels in the blood?
Yes, lack of active movement and lazy to exercise can be one of the causes of your cholesterol levels increase. Especially if this is supported by food choices that are not healthy and rich in fat. Because the pile of fat will continue to settle in the blood vessels and does not burn through physical activities such as sports.
In addition, exercise can also help you reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. Therefore, avoid one of the causes of this high cholesterol level by exercising regularly.
4. OverweightBeing overweight can be one of the causes of high cholesterol levels. Because, being overweight is usually a sign of excess fat levels in the body. If excess fat, then most likely this can be a cause of high cholesterol levels come along.
In addition, being overweight can increase the risk of heart disease that occurs due to increased cholesterol. Meanwhile, many factors can be the cause of being overweight, which also leads to an increase in cholesterol levels. For example, lazy to exercise, eating habits rich in fat, to lack of sleep habits.
If you really don't want to experience high cholesterol levels, you can avoid the cause of this condition by maintaining an ideal body weight. This is an effort so that good cholesterol or HDL levels and bad cholesterol or LDL cholesterol in the body become stable.
To find out if your weight has been classified as exceeding the normal limit, try to measure it with a Body Mass Index (BMI) calculator. If your BMI is 30 or more, then you are categorized as being overweight. Leaving this condition alone can be one of the causes of increased blood cholesterol.
Therefore, by trying to maintain an ideal body weight, it means that you have taken care of your body's health to avoid various other diseases that may arise due to high cholesterol levels.
5. Smoking habitsBelieve it or not, smoking can be a cause of high cholesterol levels in the body. This is due to the presence of acrolein found in cigarettes. This substance can affect LDL levels in the body by blocking the work of enzymes responsible for maintaining LDL levels to remain at normal limits.
Without this enzyme, LDL cholesterol in the body becomes susceptible to oxidation. The problem is that oxidation can change the structure of molecules and cause the immune system to no longer recognize LDL. This results in a buildup of bad cholesterol in the body. Therefore, smoking can be a cause of high cholesterol levels in the blood.
If bad cholesterol levels accumulate in your bloodstream, the higher the condition is the cause of heart attacks and strokes that you may experience. Therefore, quitting smoking is one of the efforts you can do to avoid one of the causes of high cholesterol as well as diseases and health problems that you don't want.
Unfortunately, both active and passive smokers are at high risk of arterial artery blockage which can lead to various heart problems such as high blood pressure and diabetes. So, even if you don't smoke, you need to avoid cigarette smoke to avoid causing high cholesterol.
6. Certain diseasesAnother cause of high cholesterol is the history of the disease you have. There are several diseases that could potentially be the cause of high cholesterol levels in the blood.
Therefore, you also must be careful with all health conditions that you have. The reason is, maybe you have a health condition that causes an increase in cholesterol levels. Some of these health conditions may be the cause of cholesterol, so you should be aware. Among them:
- Liver disorders and kidney problems
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Disorders of the thyroid gland
Certain medications can also cause bad cholesterol to increase and reduce good cholesterol. Some of these drugs include progestins, anabolic steroids, and corticosteroids.
7. Family health historyFeeling not doing the things above, but cholesterol levels remain high? It could be that the cause of high cholesterol that you experience is a family health history.
The reason is, this condition can be derived from father, mother, even grandparents. The condition that can cause you to experience increased levels of cholesterol in the blood is called familial hypercholesterolemia.
Gene mutations inherited from parents can control every cell in our body so they can't get rid of LDL cholesterol quickly, or it can also cause the liver to produce too much LDL.
The severity of this condition is usually influenced by how much LDL cholesterol levels are in the blood. If family history is the cause of high cholesterol in the blood, you need to be careful.
Immediately do a blood test to check how high your cholesterol level is so that you can immediately take proper treatment. You can also do it at home. If left unchecked, high cholesterol can also be a cause of heart disease that you do not expect.
Tags : Cholesterol